how can i force my sister to sell a house we both own together?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can i force my sister to sell a house we both own together?

My sister is living in a house that was quick claimed to us in 2005 by our dad. the Deed lists both our names with no consideration. My sister in living in this house rent free and agreed to pay the taxes and insurance. I found out today that she has not paid taxes in 5 yrs and there is a lien on the house from the town. I want to sell the house but she doesn’t want to can I force her to sell?

Asked on February 5, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can. In a situation in which co-owners cannot agree as to ownership matters, the law provides a remedy known as "partition". In such an action the court can either order that the property be divided if practical or, if not, (as in the case of a single family house) the court will order that it be sold. At that point, the proceeds of the sale will be distributed euitably. First, however, any owner who wants to keep the property will have the right to buy out the other owner for fair market value. You should consult directly with a real estate atorney in your area who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption