How can I force my sister to file our deseased father’s Will?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I force my sister to file our deseased father’s Will?

How can I force my sister to file our deceased father’s Will? My father passed away 7 months ago and she says that she has the Will that he signed 5 days before he died and that she was named Executor. She refuses to give me a copy of the Will and has changed her phone number and only has a P.O. Box address. She got our father to sign over the title to all of his vehicles, motorcyle and boat at his death bed to her. I am in the dark and I really only wanted a few personal possessions of his and some photo’s but she will not give them to me. She has always been jealous since we are half siblings

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you have a claim for undue influence.  you can petition the court to order her to submit the will.  then you would contest the validity of the will because the sister exerted undue influence over your father.  you need to contact a local attorney to help you out. best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption