How can I find out if my late father had a savings account?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if my late father had a savings account?

My siblings and I going through probate court with our stepmother, she can only find a copy of our father’s Will so the clerk and master will not except it. Our stepmother said our father only had a checking account, but in the Will it says he also had a savings account, how can I find this out? It seems as if she does not have to prove this and the clerk and master is taking her word for it when she is lying about mostly everything. The accounts are only in his name and in his will he wanted everything in both accounts to go to my sister.

Asked on March 7, 2019 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Contact the banks he banked at and ask; if you provide them on request with a copy of the death certificate, they should respond. (You won't be able to access or due anything with the account without court authority, such as appointment as personal representative for the estate), but you can at least determine whether the account existed. If the banks will not even respond, you'd need raise a legal challenge to the probate and in the course of that challenge, issue a subpoena to each bank to compel them to respond.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption