How can I find out if my divorce is final?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if my divorce is final?

The lawyer my husband hired is filing the divorce. We have a separation agreement which he is not abiding by but that’s for another time. I’ve signed all the paperwork and sent it back early last month by 2 day delivery. Since then, I’ve heard nothing. My ex completely cut communication with me, even email, since I found out that he has a girl 6 months pregnant. So I thought I could contact the lawyer he went with. However, when I contacted his office he refused to speak to me since I was the opposing party. I am not requesting details or advice, I just want to know where everything is in this process, as many things depend on the divorce being final relatively soon. Is there any other way that I can gather this as it should

be public record?

Asked on May 16, 2016 under Family Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can go to the court where the petition for dissolution of marriage was filed.  If you know the case number, you can ask the court clerk for the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy any or all pages or you can just look at the file to determine the status of the case.
If you don't know the case number, look in the court's computer under either your name or your husband's name to obtain the case number.  Then, as mentioned above, give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption