How can I find out if my previous employer blackballed or added some erroneous information to my background ?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if my previous employer blackballed or added some erroneous information to my background ?

I have been out of work 11 months and can’t seem to make it to the interview phase.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no central repository of your employment information; to find out what this employer may be telling people (e.g. if they call to verify employment or get a reference), you'd have to bring a lawsuit against them, then use the legal mechanisms of "discovery" (e.g. written interrogatories, or questions; document production requests; depositions) to find out what has been said or written about you. And to bring a lawsuit, you need good cause to believe something untoward was done: a mere suspicion, based on not getting to the interview phase, is not sufficient.

Given how bad the economy is, there are many reasons other than being "blackballed" for why you may be having trouble getting interviews. (And note: there is no law against a prior employer recommending to people who contact them that they do not hire you, so long as they do not support that with inaccurate facts or use some improper pressure or coercion to make others not hire you.) If you have not done so already, you may wish to meet with a resume or job search consultant, to see if you  need to modify your resume or job-hunting strategies. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption