how can i find out if i’m named in my grandmother’s will

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can i find out if i’m named in my grandmother’s will

My grandmother passed away in April of this year my paternal family are being
very secretive about the contents of the will how can i obtain a copy or just
have visual access to the will

Asked on July 17, 2017 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If her Will has been entered into probate, then you (or anyone else for that matter) can request a copy from the court. Also, if you were named as a beneficiary, the executor should have notified you. Otherwise, if you the parent who is the child of your grandmother is still alive, then you have no right to see it. If, however, that parent is deceased then you do have such a right as an "interested party". This is someone who would have inherited if there had there been no Will (pursuant to "intestate succession"). Therefore, since whether or not there is a Will affects your rights, you have a stake or "standing" in this. This stake is sufficient to give you the right to bring legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption