How can I find out if Im in a frozen will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if Im in a frozen will?

My stepfather died about 8yrs ago but his will was
frozen due to the fact he was murdered. I have no
contact with his family but was told I was in his will.
Is there a way I can find out if I am in fact in his will
before it is released?
Thank you

Asked on March 16, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  By "frozen" do you mean that probate did not move forward during the investigation?  That would make sense so that it can be determined if anyone that would have sought to inherit had a part in the murder.  Most states cut them out of the inheritance if that were the case.  If you were named in the Will you will receive a copy with a waiver from the Executor when it is offered for probate. If you are named you have to be sent a copy. If you do not, you can view it in the Court as the probate file is a public record, and then discuss with an attorney your options from there.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption