How can I find out if I am mentioned in a will

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if I am mentioned in a will

Our family is estranged and a parent died

How can I find out if I am mentioned in a will in
Sequim Wa

Asked on July 31, 2017 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you cab check to see if your father's Will has been filed with the probate court. If it has, then it is a matter of public record so you have a right to see it. If it has not yet been filed, you can still obtain a copy. This is because legally you are what is referred to as an "interested party", that is someone who would have inherited if there was no Will (pursuant to "intestate succession"). Consequently, since whether or not a Will exists affects your rights, you have a stake or "standing" which means that you the right to bring a legal action to view the Will. If it is determined that your father did not have a Will, then he died "intestate" which means that as his heir you are entitled to a portion of his estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption