how can i find out if am legaly divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can i find out if am legaly divorce?

my name is karon Gibson, I live in dallas,tx I have been separated for three years and I don’t know were he lives or am not sure were he could be working at or if he’s still works at the same company. and I have been told I can go downtown and find out but I don’t have time. and how much does it cost for a divorce? is there anyway I could find out on line to check to see if I am?

thank you
karon A. Gibson

Asked on March 13, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can call the district clerks where you or he resided .... when you did know where your ex- lived. Some clerks will tell you over the phone... others will require you to fill out a specific request form.  More and more are offering online searches.  I would caution you, however with these online searches, because they are not always accurate.  Dallas County, for example, just 'updated' there system with a new program which is so sensitive to name spellings that it will say no case was found.... when there is actually a case. (Many attorneys deeply lament to old system)  So... if there are any unique spellings of your name... check it more than one time.
Another option to look at, in conjunction with the above, is to contact the vital statistics section for the Texas Department of State Health Services.  They can run a search for you and let you know if you are divorced, and if so, in which county it occurred.  From there, you can follow-up and request any desired documents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption