How can I file for divorce myself?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I file for divorce myself?

Asked on August 12, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Many states have pre-printed forms for the filing of a petition for dissolution. Some are online. New York has such forms. You print out the summons and the petition for dissolution.

You carefully read the form and check the required boxes, fill in the needed information, date and sign the documents. You go to the court clerk and pay the filing fee for the dissolution with the original and several copies. You will receive endorsed filed copies from the court clerk who keeps the original documents after a case number is assigned to the action.

You then have a third party over 18 years of age personally serve the spouse with the paperwork to get the dissolution process moving.

The local bar association may have a clinic on dissolution proceedings to assist people like you.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption