How can I file for divorce if my husband lost his job due to being an alcoholic and we moved to 2 different states?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I file for divorce if my husband lost his job due to being an alcoholic and we moved to 2 different states?

We have been living in separate states since late last year. I had to move home with my parents because he lost his job in the Army due to alcholism and injury. He was told he could come with me but didn’t want to and moved home to another state to be with his mother. He did a 30 day rehab program at the VA in but still drank. He is now in yet another state living with an aunt. I need to file for divorce, but am not a legal resident of my current state. We have been separated for 8 months and he hasn’t ever come to see the kids.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you wish to file for a marital dissolution but are not presently a resident of the state where you reside (living there six months with intent to remain) you have the following options:

1. file a marital dissolution in the state where you are a resident;

2. wait until you are a resident of the state where you reside and then file a marital dissolution petition in the county where you now reside.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about your matter and how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption