How can I file a complaint againstmy state’sAttorney General’s office?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I file a complaint againstmy state’sAttorney General’s office?

In 2004 I won a claim against a former employer with the Wage and Hour division of the MI Attorney General office. I received my first small check in 2008. I have not received any more money since then. I called the AG office and was told that their lawyer have many cases. My former employer’s business is still in operation. I personally believe that the AG office is slacking on my case and is not doing their job. Who can I complaint to? Who is over the AG office.

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The state AG's office is, unfortunately, the highest law enforcement office in your state. However, you do have some options if you feel that the office is not doing your case justice. For example, you could:

1) Escalate within the office. First go to higher levels within the Wage and Hour division; if that doesn't help, try going to higher levels in the state AG's office more generally--including trying to contact the AG him- or herself. The AG website should enable you to identify the heirarchy and reporting structure.

2) Contact a local state representative or state senator and, as a constitutent, ask for their help.

3) Contact the governor's office to complain about the AG not doing its job.

4) Go to local media, as a "watchdog" or "human interest" piece about the Wage and Hour division not doing its job--sometimes, media attention helps.

5) If necessary and economically worthwhile (given how much money is remaining in the settlement), you could contact a lawyer and consider bringing a legal action.

Good luckl

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption