How can I fight a wrongful speeding ticket?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I fight a wrongful speeding ticket?

A few days ago, I was pulled over on Ft. Hood for going 25 in a 40 zone. This was
the first time I’d been on that road, and the first speed limit sign from where I
turned was 2 blocks after I’d been pulled over. The road adjacent to it from
where I drove to my destination has a speed limit of 40 mph, so I thought that
this would be the same. How can I present this argument plausibly to a judge? I
was recently in an accident and would not like this to reflect on my insurance or
driving record. Thank you in advance for advice.

Asked on June 21, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Forget about "fighting it": nobody ever wins on a speeding ticket by saying they were unaware of the speed limit where they were pulled over. That is simply not a legal defense to speeding.
Focuse on mitigating or reducing the ticket. Talk the prosecutor before trial. Do say what you've written, but don't harp on it or fight about: just put those facts out there. Be respectful and contrite. Offer to take a defensive driving course if they like. If you do these things, there is a very good chance they will let you plead to a lesser offense (e.g. less miles over the limit). 
You can also frankly, assuming you can pay a larger fine, say that you are more worried about points on your driving record than the fine; they may let you plead to lesser (or possibly no) points but a larger fine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption