How can I expedite my criminal record exemption for a petty misdemeanor from 28 years ago?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I expedite my criminal record exemption for a petty misdemeanor from 28 years ago?

Days after my18th birthday, I foolishly shoplifted a shirt from a store. I was arrested for the misdemeanor and served community service hours as a consequence. This happened nearly 30 years ago and my county no longer has any records. However, the state will take nearly 3 months to decide whether they will allow a criminal record exemption. I am starting my internship right away and would like advice on how to expedite this process. The internship site knows the situation but would still like me to start when my records are exempted.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The proceeding that you want is an "expungement" proceeding with respect to the shoplifting misdemeanor that you are writing about. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you in the process. In order to grant the petition the court looks at what the conviction was for, how long ago it happened, what you have done with your life since and the reasons for the desired request. You would need to file a petition for such with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption