How can I evict my boyfriend?

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I evict my boyfriend?

My father owns mobile home I have lived there 11 years. My boyfriend moved in 1 year ago. He is not on the lease with the mobile home park, not kept a job, never paid any billls. I have totally supported him – food, gas, clothing, cigarettes, etc. He has only partied on any money he earned. He is violent and has disturbed all the neighbors. Police can’t help unless he beats me.

Asked on March 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If he is not on a lease (including that does not have a lease with you or your father) and does not pay rent, he is not a tenant--he is a guest. A guest can only remain so long as the person with possession of the property (e.g. your father, as the owner; or you, as the tenant, if you rent from your father) allows him. That permission may be withdrawn at any time, and once it is withdrawn, your boyfriend would have to leave--if he does  not, he would technically be a trespasser and the police should held remove him.

Therefore, the first thing to try is that your father, as owner, if you do not rent from him, or you, as tenant, if you actually rent from your father, should tell your boyfriend to leave, then call the police if he does not.

Sometimes the police are unwilling to do their job in this situation--they are worried that the guest actually is a tenant or part owner or has some other right to remain. If the police will not help, then, since there is no written lease, you may be able to treat your boyfriend as a month to month tenant on an oral lease, which means you could give him 30 days notice terminating his tenancy, then bring an eviction action if he does not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption