How can I do community service instead of paying a ticket?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I do community service instead of paying a ticket?

On the 1st of this month I received a ticket for not making a full stop at a red light. The fine is $490 and $539 if I want to attend traffic school. I’m in my first year of college and have to pay tuition and fees for books so I don’t have the financial ability to pay the ticket. I currently work 9 or less hours a week at a minimum wage job and I was wondering how I can convince or get a judge to let me do community service instead of paying the ticket?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under General Practice, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get community service time instead of a court fine for the ticket you received for not stopping at a red light is to show up in court and ask the judge if community service time in lieu if a dollar fine is an option for your situtation and explain the reasons for the request.

You need to be aware that not all counties in California have a community service program as part of the criminal justice system due to the economic down turn in this state and throughout this country.

One possibility is that if you are not given community service time to work off the fine for the ticket in lieu of a cash payment, the court may allow you to make monthly installment payments to whittle down whatever fine you receive. Make sure that you ask for monthly payment installments as an option if no community service time is allotted you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption