How can I dispose ofitems if I allowed somone to store items on my property and they will not take off?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I dispose ofitems if I allowed somone to store items on my property and they will not take off?

I have told them several times that their property must be removed.

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there are items left on your property by a third person who will not pick them up, I suggest the following:

1. write one last letter to the person seeking pick up by a certain date and if not, you will dispose of the items. Keep a copy of the letter.

2. if the items are worth less than $300, you can dispose of them as you see fit.

3. if worth more than $300, I suggest that you take them to an offsite storage place and place them in the name of the person that owns them. Send a copy of the lease to that person in a letter. Keep a copy of the letter.

If the owner fails to pay for the offsite rental, the storage facility will then auction off the items to pay the amount owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption