How can I defend against avandalism charge?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I defend against avandalism charge?

Before this, I didn’t have a record. I threw a rock into my ex-boyfriend’s house window. I don’t want to lose my license, are there alternatives?

Asked on October 16, 2010 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

A lawyer might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality or possibly at least get it reduced. Anytime criminal charges are involved, you should consult with a criminal law attorney. The fact that you are a first-time offender will be of help to you.  You will probably be eligible for an alternative sentencing program wherein you plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and upon successful completion of the probation, the charge is withdrawn and the case dismissed.  Your record should be cleared automatically ("expunged" or "sealed").

Consult directly with a lawyer ASAP.  The sooner you get one the better.  If they can get you off, then you will be able to request diversion in the future (should you ever need to) since you wouldn't have used it this time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption