How can I collect the wages that my boss refuses to pay me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I collect the wages that my boss refuses to pay me?

I worked as a hotel housekeeper for 2 months. The owner of the quality inn where I worked fired me. He owes me approximately $250. He had me to sign a paper when he fired me which I understood to say that I was leaving voluntarily and not protesting his firing me. Now he is saying that I signed a paper saying that I had worked voluntarily for those 2 weeks and he refuses to pay me. What is my best course of action?

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your ex-employer in some way tricked you into signing this agreement and misled you as to exactly what you were signing, then you did not sign it voluntarily. Accordingly, you can file a wage complaint with your state's department of labor and/or sue you former employer in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption