How canI best dissolve my marriage?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI best dissolve my marriage?

I left an emotionally and physically abusive husband and now need to get my marriage dissolved. We were married in one state; he is in another state; I am staying with friends in yet another state. I also left everything I owned and am unemployed.

Asked on January 17, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry about your situation but I am very glad that you are safe.   Do not go back and get anything at this point with out some one to go with you.  Now, in order for you to file for divorce you ned to establish residency in the state in which you wish to file.  That is the way that the court obtains jurisdiction over you and the matter. The amount of time to establish residency differs from state to state. It does not matter what state you were married in.  You need to get legal help here in order for you to gather your things and possibly obtain a restraining order to help keep you safe.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption