How can I be charged with possession if I was unaware of illlegal substances in my car?

UPDATED: May 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I be charged with possession if I was unaware of illlegal substances in my car?

I was recently stopped while driving for “following too closely,” then the officer stated he thought he smelled marajuana and asked if there was anything illegal in the car. I did not know of anything illegal in the car, therefore responded, “Not that I am aware of.” Then he asked if he could search the car, i said no because i had been food shopping and had to get home. Then they brought a dog to sniff the car and said they were going to search the car. They say they found a pipe with marajuana in it, and arrested me with possession. I was not aware of anything in my car, what do i do?

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First, you need to speak with a criminal attorney, preferably one that practices in the area in which this all happened.  He will more than likely have contacts within the prosecutor's office.  This can be of enormous benefit in a case such as this.  Possibly he can get the charges dropped or reduced.  There are no guarantees but if you are a "first-time" offender that will weigh heavily in your favor.  Even if the charges aren't dropped, there's a chance that they can be reduced and/or you could receive some form of alternate sentencing that will enable you to end up with a clean criminal record.

Again you will need an attorney to help you out here.  Just saying that you "did not know" won't be enough.  Everyone says that.  Also, this begs the question, just whose stuff was this?  That can open up another can of worms.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption