How can I avoid jail time on a violation of probation charge?

UPDATED: May 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I avoid jail time on a violation of probation charge?

I got my first DUI. Never had a record before this. I was on probation due to a DUI charge. I violated because I was caught driving on a suspended license. A friend was going to represent me but didn’t show in court. long story short I was picked up for violation of probation. The judge gave me $1,000 bond and I was out in 18 hours. I was told this is a good sign. I need advice on how to handle this situation. I am dumb when it comes to the legal system. I have court in 2 weeks, no money and a 4 year old. I don’t want to do any jail time. Would a public defender help me with such short notice?

Asked on May 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have the necesary funds to pay for a private attorney concerning the charge against you, I suggest that you contact the county's public defender's office where the charge against you is pending to see if you qualify for the appointment of a public defender.

Potentially your county may also afford a court appointed attorney for those that cannot afford private counsel in addition to the public defender. If your county has a legal aid program, I suggest that you consult with legal aid as well for ways to proceed in the action pending against you. It is best that you make the above contacts with the suggested groups sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption