How can I access a trust once I am of age but the trustee won’t cooperate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I access a trust once I am of age but the trustee won’t cooperate?

I was given a set amount of money from my
grandfather. The money was put into a trust
and was not to be given to be until I was a
certain age. I am now that age but the trustee
will not tell me where the money is or who to

Asked on September 5, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

File a lawsuit against the trust and the trustee in chancery court (a part or division of county court); this is commonly called a lawsuit for an "accounting," since you are looking to make the trustee "account" for his/her actions. A trustee must comply with the terms of the trust and must also honor his/her law-imposed "fiduciary duty," or obligation to be loyal to the beneficiaries' interests and to also use reasonable care. If the trustee failed to do these things, the court can order the trustee to turn over money to the benefiary, to follow the terms of the trust, to repay from his/her own pocket any amounts he/she improperly took, diverted, or wasted, and/or to step down as trustee and be replaced by someone else. 
Suits in chancery court for an accounting are more complex than, say, a small claims suit over a "fender bender" or unpaid bill; you are strongly encouraged to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption