How to get an ex to return personal property?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get an ex to return personal property?

I want to know if there is anything legally that I can do to get my property from an ex-girlfriend’s house. We broke up and it ended badly. She has my beds; also her father’s name is on the title of my vehicle. She has power of attorney over her father’s affairs and she refuses to transfer title over to me. The beds were a gift to me from my mother and father and she refuses to give them up. The clothes and other belongings I don’t care about. What can I do to get the title signed by her and get my beds out of the house. She says if I try to come pick them up she will call the police

Asked on October 18, 2010 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) If the father's name is on the title of "your" vehicle, it is his vehicle. If you've made all the payments, keep it up, etc. you may be able to establish an equitable  right in the vehicle and at least get some compensation for it, though that will be uphill--you're starting from the fact that the car is in his name and is legally his.

2) If the beds are yours, she can't keep them. If they were gifts to her, such as from you, they are hers and you can't get them (once a gift is given, the recipient does not have to give it back); if they were gifts to the two of you, you has 50% ownership. The problem may be proving that the beds were not gifts to her--if they are in her house, then it's not unreasonable that they were given to her. The evidence is, at least at a glance, probably more on her side than yours.

Yours is not a simple situation. You should speak with an attorney about what to do, bringing with you all evidence you have of ownership, of payments made, etc. in relation to beds and cars; bear in mind, though, that with her having possession of the beds and her fathers name on the car, you are starting from a significant disadvantage in proving they are yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption