How can a F1 Student get a work permit after marrying to an U.S Citizen?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can a F1 Student get a work permit after marrying to an U.S Citizen?

My fiance and I are getting married soon. We both go to college, but I have an F1
Visa. Right now we are living together with my mother-in-law however, as we
continue our studies, we will need to move out soon. Unfortunately, due to the
high prices of tuition for international students, we are not able to afford an
apartment, unless we both work part time. I would like to know what is the
process, and how long would it take to get a work permit authorization outside
campus after we get married.

Thank you

Asked on August 30, 2017 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It usually takes about 3 months (90 days) to get an employment authorization document on the basis of having filed an application to adjust status on the basis of marriage to a US citizen.  So, assuming you get married and file the paperwork with USCIS shortly thereafter, you will get the work permit about 3 months after that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption