How can a company obtain a judgment against a company that is located in another state?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can a company obtain a judgment against a company that is located in another state?

My company is in CA. How can I obtain a judgment against an out of state company for $90,000.

Asked on March 4, 2019 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue them.
The issue, of course, is where you sue them. If they entered into a contract specifically with you, you can sue them in your state: contracting with a CA company is enough of a contact to sue them in CA.
If they have a CA office or staff who work in CA, you can likely sue them in CA, too--that is likely enough of a CA contact for CA courts to exercise power or jurisdiction.
If the thing they did giving rise to the lawsuit occured in CA--like them providing a temp worker or tech at your location, whose actions led to your claim--you should again be able to sue in CA.
But if there was no contract, no CA staff or location, and the thing giving rise to the claim did not occur in CA, you would have to sue in their state. You need to be able to show certain minimum CA contacts to sue in CA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption