How and where to file a discrimination complaint against a condo board?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How and where to file a discrimination complaint against a condo board?

My condo board has been following different rules for different residents. Some residents (including the board member) are allowed to store kayak’s and canoes in the garage, while others are not even allowed to store small non-inflammatory items like shopping carts. After numerous complaints and discussions, they have turned a deaf ear and refer to by-laws at every opportunity. I have few residents who are ready to sign a petition against this practice.

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A discrimination suit against the board of directors by you concerning what you have written does not seem to be a proper vehicle at this time. Rather, you need to carefully read the association's bylaws as well as the recorded covenants, conditions and restrictions concerning how to remove the directors of your association.

I suggest that the best way to start your plan of attack is for you and other residents who are unhappy with the board of directors for your homeowner's association to retain an attorney well experienced in this area of the law to assist you in your start.

The documents that I have referred to should set the groundwork for the plan to remove the directors who are not following the requirements that are recorded as to all units in your complex.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption