Hotel liability

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hotel liability

While on vacation, my son fell off a piece of pool equipment and cut his leg. Where he hit his leg the padding was loose. The cut required 6 stitches to be put in. My question is, Would the hotel be liable for his medical bills.

Asked on August 24, 2016 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The hotel is liable for the medical bills and pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  I assume your son is a minor and there isn't any wage loss claim. 
Obtain the name, address, and telephone number of the hotel's insurance carrier.  Inform the hotel's insurance carrier in writing of your son's personal injury claim.
When your son completes his medical treatment and is released by the doctor, obtain your son's medical bills and medical reports.  Your son's personal injury claim filed with the hotel's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of the injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.
If the case is settled with the hotel's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If your son is a minor and you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the hotel's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit on your son's behalf against the hotel based on premises liability.  You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on your son's behalf if he is a minor because a minor cannot file a lawsuit himself.  If your son is NOT a minor, he can file the lawsuit himself.  If your son is NOT a minor, he can negotiate with the hotel's insurance carrier and can decide whether to accept or reject the settlement offers as discussed above.
If the case is NOT settled, the lawsuit on behalf of your son against the hotel based on premises liability must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your son will lose his rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption