Hostile work environment

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hostile work environment

Being verbally abused by co-worker. Went to management 3 times nothing was done. I resigned. What can I do about it .

Asked on July 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A hostile workplace environment is one that prevents an employee from doing their job duties in a reasonable manner. In such a scenario, by behavior and/or actions a boss/co-worker creates an environment that is counterproductive to an employee performing their job. However, these behaviors/actions generally must not be just the result of rude or boorish behavior. Also, they must be "discriminatory" in nature. This means that they must constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination (i.e. be based on the employee's race, religion, disability, age (over 40), gender, etc.). Accordingly, if the verbal abuse was merely obnoxious and unprofessional, it was legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption