What to do about an unjust and unauthorized hospital bill?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an unjust and unauthorized hospital bill?

My 16 year old daughter went to a hospital saying that she thought she was pregnant. This is clearly not live threatening. The hospital did some tests on her without contacting me and now want me to pay the bill over $10,000. Is that legal? I could have send her to see her doctor and only pay the co-pay.

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact the accounts receivables department with the hospital that sent you the bill for the treatment of your 16 year old daughter. Most likely she went to the emergency room for treatment. Under the law of all states in this country, hospital personnel cannot legally turn away a person needing medical assistance from the emergency department.

I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with your daughter as to what happened and the treatment that she received. Unless your minor daughter is an emancipated minor, her parents are legally responsible for the bills she incurs under state law.

If you have medical insurance for her, I suggest that you place your insurer on notice about the bill.

From what you have written, I see nothing improper by the hospital concerning the treatment your daugter received.

I recommend that you consult with an attorney practicing health care law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption