What to do if my homeowners insurance won’t cover a damage caused by my son due to his age?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my homeowners insurance won’t cover a damage caused by my son due to his age?

My 4 year old son scratched my neighbor’s car with a rock. We called our homeowners insurance and they said that because my son is under 7 years of age he is not liable so our neighbor cannot sue. Therefore they won’t cover this but as a courtesy to us they might give us $1000. Is this true?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Insurance Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

That is not quite true. You could potentially be liable if you failed to monitor or supervise him properly--that is, it's not your son who was necessarily at fault, it may be you. For example, if you let your 4 year old outside without someone monitoring him, that could be held to be negligent. If your neighbor sues you, there is a reasonable chance therefore that you'd be liable for the cost to repair and repaint.

You could potentially then sue your insurer to force them to honor their policy obligations (check the policy to see to what extent they are obligated in a situation like this).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption