Who is considered to be a

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is considered to be a

I own a condo and the HOA rules/bylaws state that one cannot rent/lease out their residence without approval from the association board. There is also a limit to the number of condos that can be under lease at one time. I am not looking to rent out my residence but I would like to let a relative stay there not lease or rental agreement. Would this be considered breaking the association rule?

Asked on November 17, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A tenant pays rent to live somewhere. Generally, it is overtly or explicitly rent, but regular assistance with or payment of housing costs (e.g. the person pays the utilities or mortgage) can constitute rent. If someone lives in your home without paying you anything for it, they are a guest, not a tenant. It is the payment of some amount (rent) to say there, not the existence of a written lease, which makes someone a tenant; many tenants, for example, do not have written leases but only oral (unwritten) agreements as to what they will pay in rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption