What can we do if the home that we purchased 2 years ago had an inadequate inspection?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if the home that we purchased 2 years ago had an inadequate inspection?

The 30 foot roof was inspected “from the ground” and fascia was installed correctly from time of purchase and is causing leaks and damage. The foundation inspection missed the fact that a lentil (steel support that sits under the sill plate) was missing and is causing major structural issues. Is it possible to sue the inspection company at this point for repairs/remediation of these issues?

Asked on December 21, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the inspection company for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable inspection company would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
Your damages (the amount of monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the cost of repairs.
You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption