What to do about home ownership and Section 8 housing?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about home ownership and Section 8 housing?

My mother and I own our home as joint tenants with right of suvivorship. However, she has not lived in the home for over 12 years; I have been the sole payor on the mortgage, insurance and taxes. She has been living at a separate residence on Section 8 housing and is up for Section 8 renewal. They are questioning her interest in the home we both have title to. Can she still be listed on the title and still receive her section 8 housing benefits, or is it an asset? My mother is 80 years old and low income ($700 per month). Is a quitclaim without refinancing possible?

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Technically your mother's ownership in the home that you are writing about may disqualify her for section 8 housing depending upon the value of her interest in the unit she owns with you. Whether or not she can still receive section 8 housing and own an interest in the unit she has with you is something that can only be answered by reading the qualification requirements for section 8 housing.

Your mother can quitclaim her interest in the unit she owns with you. Before that is done, I suggest that she consult with a real estate attorney on the subject who has experience with section 8 housing requirements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption