UPDATED: Jul 18, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I currently live in a HOA community. I’m having issues with my neighbors. One literally have 11 cats, all of whom live outside; they do their

Asked on July 18, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything unless they are violating HOA rules (which apparently they are not, if the HOA has been no help) or are violating municipal trash/refuse, housing, or health ordinances. If they are violating muncipal ordinances, file a complaint with the town/city: they can issue fines and summons, which may get your neighbors to clean up their act. Contact your municipal health, sanitation, and housing departments; if you describe the situation to them, they can let you know if there may be a violation and how to take action (e.g. file a complaint). 
Unfortunately, if they are not violating any ordinances (and the HOA Is not helpful), there is nothing you can do; the law does not prevent  homeowners from doing pretty much what they want with their property so long as it's not violating a specific ordinance, even if the actions are negatively affecting a neighbor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption