What to do if I fled the scene of an accident and now the sheriff wants to talk to me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I fled the scene of an accident and now the sheriff wants to talk to me?

I hit a car on the freeway with little to no damage on both cars. I was late to work and fled. The other person got my license plate and called the cops. I have a voicemail from a deputy asking me to call him back and give him some information or they will issue a warrant for my arrest. Is it possible that will happen or are they bluffing so i incriminate myself?

Asked on December 9, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Under no circumstances should you speak with the police without having legal representation. You are under no obligation to go in and answer questions or even speak with them if they should come to your house.  The fact is that you could inadvertently say something incriminating about yourself, so questioning you without your attorney present is to their benefit.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption