Hit by a driver at a stop sign in Pennsylvania, help?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hit by a driver at a stop sign in Pennsylvania, help?

Hello. I stopped at the correct location of the stop sign for an intersection,
but the sign itself is set 10 feet back from the intersection. Local foliage
prevents visibility of drivers, so I inched forward to see and then I was
struck on the driver’s side. I had not entered the intersection, I was still
several feet off of the road, and I had not passed the stop sign yet.

We both called the police, and an officer came but they only looked around,
said they didn’t need to do anything, didn’t take any information, and then he
left without filing a report.

Is there anything I can do? The other driver filed with their insurance company
already and my insurance company is caving already. They are citing that a
driver needs to make sure an intersection is clear before entering it, but I
feel that there’s a grey area here because of how the stop sign is arranged,
since I hadn’t entered the intersection here.

Asked on October 5, 2018 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are not receiving compensation from your insurer, you have the right to sue the other driver if you think he or she was at fault. If you can convince the court, such as by your testimony or that of other witnesses, that you were driving carefully but the other driver was negligent (careless), you can win compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption