H=If I hit a utility pole that had to be replaced, can I dispute the bill if I think that it is too high?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

H=If I hit a utility pole that had to be replaced, can I dispute the bill if I think that it is too high?

I swerved and crashed my truck into a utility pole and cracked it in half. The pole did have to be replaced and taken out. They put up a new pole the very next day but the old pole sat next to it for about 2 weeks and then was removed in 1 day. I was now sent the bill and I’m being charged for 29 hours of labor 3.5k and the rest of the bill is for materials, driving costs, etc. I know for a fact, they did not work on this pole from start to finish for 29 hours. is there a way I can dispute the bill? Ask for proof of hours worked on this pole?

Asked on October 16, 2018 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can ask for proof, documentation, materials invoices, etc. but cannot compel them to give it to you unless you refuse to pay and they sue you for the money: in the lawsuit, they will have to substantiate or provide evidence of the costs they are charging you. So there is no way short of provoking a lawsuit to make sure you get this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption