Hiding the charge receipts regarding tips

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hiding the charge receipts regarding tips

Our mostly absent employer recently hired a new cashier. She now has not allowed us to see the receipts which will show the

Asked on June 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) If you feel that you are not receiving your share of tips, you could file a complaint with the state department of labor, who may be able to help; the department of labor enforces wage and hour and related laws.
2) If you feel she is actually stealing money (e.g. pocketing part of the receipts), you could contact the police, though if the owner endorses what she is doing, they will not act: it is not theft if the person being stolen from says its ok.
3) You can't do anything about assignment of hours or tables if the owner gives her the authority to make these assignments: there is no right to any particular hours or tables, but rather you only get what the owner--or his designated manager (employee making these decisions for him)--wants to give you.
4) As to the loan: what were the repayment terms? As soon as the owner fails to pay when money is due, sue him for breach of contract. (But you can only do this if/when he misses a scheduled payment; until he does, no matter you suspicions, he has not actually done anything wrong.) Don't wait: the longer you wait, the greater the chance he and/or the money will be gone.
5) And if you are worried about your hours, your pay, and the stability of the restaurant, start looking for another job now--don't wait.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption