Is it wiser to try to over turn a 5 years old conviction for a petty crime or to file for a pardon?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it wiser to try to over turn a 5 years old conviction for a petty crime or to file for a pardon?

I was convicted of a petty crime Class D burglary and Class E theft 6 years ago 2008 when I was 18 1/2, for being at the scene of a crime. I was tried as an accomplish, was not arrested but was charged $300. There was a lot of contradiction in the case but I still lost because I was nervous and did not know anything about the legal system and also was denied a lawyer. I am currently an MBA student studying financial management and I am planning on becoming a certified management accountant. Today a recruiter from Manpower advised me to clean my record if i want to succeed in getting a job.

Asked on January 15, 2014 under Criminal Law, Maine


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am unsure why you were denied counsel but you may wish to revisit the entirety of your case history with a new criminal defense attorney.  This attorney should be extremely experienced with constitutional violations and see if you can have the entirety of the charges over turned and expunged from your record if there was insufficient evidence and/or there were legal violations in your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption