If my brother took my car without my permission and got into a car accident, whose insurance covers this – mine or his?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother took my car without my permission and got into a car accident, whose insurance covers this – mine or his?

No other vehicle was involved.

Asked on December 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A third party injured by your brother (like another driver or pedestrian) could try to sue either of you. You'd have a good defense to such a suit, since a car's owner is only liable for the damage or injuries caused by someone he permitted or allowed to drive his/her car--BUT you'd have to be willing to report that your brother stole your car (since that's what using a car without permission is--theft) in order to claim this defense. Without reporting that your brother stole your car, a court and/or insurer may well believe that your brother had permission, which would make you liable for his accident.

As to you: since your brother was the at-fault driver, his insurance should most likely pay for the damage, if they do not, you likely could sue your brother and force them to defend (and, if you win, pay for the damange).

However, if you have relevant coverage, such as collision, your best bet is to submit a claim to your own insurer and let your insurer worry about recovering the money it pays you from your brother or his insurer.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption