Can I still take someone to court for a statutory rapethat happened3 to4 years ago?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I still take someone to court for a statutory rapethat happened3 to4 years ago?

I was 16 and he was 25. He also got me pregnant and our child is now 3. In FL.

Asked on August 29, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for what happened to you.  I need to encourage you to seek help from an attorney in your area and to get some support from another adult to help you with everything.  What you need to be aware of in any criminal or civil proceeding - of which you can bring both - are the statute of limitations (SOL) in your state, which is a time frame in which you are permitted to bring the action.  In cases of sexual assault or rape the statute of limitations in the civil matter for purposes her would be 7 years from the date of majority (18) which is 25.  So you are within that statute (there is another part of the statute that says 4 years but you were a minor and I believe that superceded the other SOL).  In a criminal matter, I believe that it may be 4 years so I would urge you to go and speak with a prosecutor asap.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption