What shouldI do if I secretly used my girlfriend’s credit card and now her family wants to go to the police?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What shouldI do if I secretly used my girlfriend’s credit card and now her family wants to go to the police?

I admitted to my girlfriend and I am paying her back.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything to stop them from going to the police and reporting what they clearly believe to have been an unauthorized use; if they want to contact the police, they will. What happens after that depends in large part on what your girlfriends say--if contacted by the authorities, does she say it was simply a mistake or misunderstanding (which her family incorrectly thought was  a criminal act), and that you and she have worked it out? Or does she say that you used her card without authorization and she wants charges to be pressed? In the former case, the matter should go away; in the latter, you could face criminal liability. If you do end up facing criminal charges or being arrested, retain an attoreny to help you--do not try to defend yourself. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption