When can I give my tenant a 30 day notice?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can I give my tenant a 30 day notice?

I lease a 5 bedroom house and I sublet the rooms. I use a standard state lease agreement. I am having a problem tenant and wish to give notice. I am in a 6-month lease with her until the 31st of next month after wich the lease goes month-to-month. Do I have to wait until the 1st of the month in which it goes month to month to give her 30 days notice or can I give her notice on the 1st of next month for an effecitve vacate date of the 1st of the month in which the month-to-month ws to start?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you need to wait until the lease actually goes month to month to provide 30 days notice; you cannot provide 30 days notice during a 6-month lease term unless the lease form specifically provides for early termination on notice. Assuming that it does not, you have to wait until you are legally allowed to terminate on 30 days notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption