What to do if I applied for a working permit with an A-2 visa and it expires at the end of the year but I got another job?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I applied for a working permit with an A-2 visa and it expires at the end of the year but I got another job?

Do I need to notify the department of state that I will take a new job or just wait to renew the permit with the new job offer letter?

Asked on October 9, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor


What is A-2 diplomatic visa?
 The A-2 diplomatic visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign accredited officials, not in the diplomatic category, to enter into the U.S. to engage in official activities of their government.

2. Who are eligible for A-2 visa?
 The A-2 diplomat visa is issued to:
   All foreign government officials, ranking next to diplomats and officials, representing their national government
   Immediate family members of A-2 diplomatic visa holders  

3.What privileges do I enjoy on A-2 visa?
 The privileges that you are entitled to on A-2 visa are:
   You cannot be tried by the U.S. laws for any crime
   You can travel throughout the U.S. and in and out of the U.S. unlimited times
   Fast processing of the visa

Note: The above rules are subject to a host of exceptions and additional privileges pursuant to a plethora of tax treaties between the U.S. and individual foreign governments.


In answer to your question you should notify the state department right away about your intent to take an new job so that you can get the proper paperwork in order for your existing visa or a new visa that may be required for the new job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption