What happens to an asset of an estate if money was owed by the deceased to creditors?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to an asset of an estate if money was owed by the deceased to creditors?

About 8 years ago when my grandmother stopped driving, so she gave me her car (it was paid off) but my mother put it in her name. Now my mom quite suddenly passed away recently, however the car was never put into my name. My mother had no Will and she had debt. Is there anyway that I can get to keep this car or will I definitely be losing it to companies she owed money to?

Asked on September 20, 2014 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It depends on a lot of things like if the estate has sufficient assets to pay off creditors or if you can negotiate the debt.  But the person appointed to deal with it may have to sell assets in order to pay off creditors.  I would gather everything and sit down with an attorney to take a look at the big picture.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption