How do I change attorneys mid-case?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I change attorneys mid-case?

.I have a social security disability case going for 2 and a 1/2 years. I have a large firm handling my case who then assigns the attorney who will represent me. I’m unhappy with this firm and would like to go else where. They (the firm) sent me a letter to sign saying that the attorney who was handling my case is not there any more and want me to sign an OK letter for a new attorney. Can I go to a totally differnt attorney even though they have been handling the case since the beginning.

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Insurance Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can change attorneys.  Your new attorney will have you and your former attorney sign a substitution of attorney form which will allow your new attorney to represent you.  Your new attorney will then file the substitution of attorney with the court to become attorney of record in the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption