if I marry my boyfriend before his visa here expires, can he stay?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if I marry my boyfriend before his visa here expires, can he stay?

I am a US citized who worked in Abu Dhabi. I have a significant other who got a B2 visa to travel with me in the US to meet my family. When we arrived my family loved him. On my time a friend set me up with a job interview and I was offered a job here in the US. I wish my partner to stay, so I proposed to him. We did not have an intention of engagement as my divorce is still pending for another 30 days. However I wish to marry him before his visa expires; we want to settle in here. However, I don’t know what legal issues that I may face. Can you advise what we should do?

Asked on October 25, 2015 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you get married to him AFTER your divorce is finalized, he will be eligible to adjust status to permanent residence on the basis of your marriage.  I would strongly suggest that you not marry within 90 days of his entry to the US as that may be seen as misrepresentation of intent at the time of his entry to the US in B-2 status which does not allow for immigrant intent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption