I need help getting my husband a green card.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need help getting my husband a green card.

I want to petition my husband to come here to America ,but I cannot sponsor him because I do not work, but my husband is rich and has clothes companies in his country, and he can sponsor himself. What I can do in this case to help my husband be eligible for a green card.

Asked on September 9, 2015 under Immigration Law, Oregon


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

For any family-based petition, there has to be a sponsor.  The required first sponsor is the petitioner him/herself, which you would have to be as the spouse/petitioner.  However, often when the petitioner&rsquos income/assets are insufficient, it is possible to have a joint sponsor sign the affidavit of support on behalf of the beneficiary.  The joint sponsor can be anyone who is a US citizen or green card holder.  It does not have to be a relative although for obvious reasons it is usually a member of the family aunt,uncle,parent, sibling, etc.  However, it can be a friend, a neighbor a co-worker, etc.  Often the beneficiary him/herself can use his/her assets to satisfy the affidavit of support requirements.  However, with assets that are overseas it is somewhat trickier as it needs to be shown that the assets are liquid cash, etc and with business interests, property interests abroad this is difficult.  Perhaps your husband can transfer some of the money into your US bank account or open a joint account with you in the US so that he can show those assets stateside.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption