What to do if a classic car repair shop has not done the work that’s been charged for?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a classic car repair shop has not done the work that’s been charged for?

I purchased a classic carand took the car to be restored at a local body shop that had people there that specialize in classic car restoration. I agreed to work of $27,000. I have paid them $20,000 to date. I brought an inspector that specializes in classic cars and he said the work they claimed to do was not done. The doors and hood do not fit right and they charged for work to restore the original doors that was not completed.

Asked on November 28, 2012 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If a mechanic, contractor, repairshop other service person or business, etc. does not do the work that they agreed to and which you paid for, you could potentially sue them to recover either the money you paid and/or the cost to get the work actually done, based on one or more of the following theories:

1) Breach of contract--not getting what you paid for or they agreed to provide;

2) Negligence--if the problem was unreasonable carelessness; and/or

3) Fraud--if they lied about what they could or would do.

Considering the amount of money at stake, you are advised to consult with an attorney about about your options and recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption